July 22, 2009

It Aint Over!!!

Many Americans are encumbered with optimism by the historical election of Barack Obama to the presidency of the Western Free World. Some people, black and white, believe that the election marked the onslaught of Armageddon for racism in America. Black’s are holding on tight to the mirage formulating in the distance that the paradigm of race in America has truly shifted. While White’s are under the guise that Black’s no longer have any excuse not to thrive in the greatest democracy and economic power known to man. Unfortunately while these day dreamers are lost in translation Blacks continue to be the object of racist doings every single day.

I cannot and will not ignore the progress that America and some of its citizens have made in the last 50 years as it pertains to race relations. However, even in my own youth find it appalling that my living parents and grandparents maturated during a time in America where hate pulsated throughout this country. The success of Blacks was stifled by laws and racist societal pedagogy.

Fast forward to the year 2009 and even with a man who identifies himself as an African American serving as president, we still have not reached the much talked about promise land. Notwithstanding the facts surrounding the arrest of prominent scholar Henry Louis Gates, Jr. I am disgusted and disturbed by the comments my fellow man. Several are quick to dismiss claims of racial profiling and hail jokes of calling off Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton before things get out of hand. Others frantically try to defend one the shining jewels of the African American population. I in the midst of all this ambiguity and discourse I find myself contemplating a few things: First, is it possible for two people to be neighbors and mistake each other for a burglar? Second, should society not see anything wrong with that? Third, will “we have a black president for goodness sake” always be the response from the majority when a racial injustice occurs or a Black person makes a mistake?

I then find myself having a mental argument on whether or not racism has change drastically since the most memorable Tuesday in my lifetime. After only a few seconds I conclusively say no. This finality of thoughts is based on firsthand accounts of racism. Just three months ago I witnessed a white office arrest three black men on a crowded sidewalk outside the front door of a closing bar crawling with nearly 400 drunken non-African American patrons. I guess they were in the “wrong place” or perhaps they were significantly more intoxicated than all of their white counter parts. Then I recollect a mere two days ago as I exited the law school and had a white gentleman shout at me and several of my classmates, “all the white girls were dating all the niggers. You niggers.” I refrained from responding and encouraged my African American classmates to let it go. I secretly wanted to respond, but honestly feared a confrontation would result in my own trip downtown. Ironically, the gentleman was arrested and as my classmate looked on he shouted to the police officer he called us niggers. Unfortunately, the police office had very little interest in my classmate’s feelings and quickly dismissed his comment.

I know things are a lot better than they have been, but this place is still not perfect. Racism is not dead. Hate still inhabits the hearts of millions of people. White privileged is real and Black oppression weighs heavy on the lives of Black America. Keep on Pushing and Protect the Investment.

5 comments:

  1. Rubin

    First off, what's up!? It's been a very long time since we've spoken or seen each other. I saw that you had a new blog entry (via facebook) and thought I'd check it out. Congratulations on law school! Quite an accomplishment there. I'm glad to read that you know exactly who gets the credit. (God!)


    Sad to say that you're very correct about racism not being dead. We've made some progression in the past decades but not nearly enough in my opinion. I don't understand why it's such a universal struggle across nations. Take the Muslim Uighurs and the Han Chinese conflicts that's made news a bit this past month. It's everywhere to some degree and it's sickening.


    Keep up the writing when you have the time. I enjoyed reading. I have a really difficult time keeping up my blog because of all the other stuff going on so I know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you raise several valid points. Racism, I feel, will only vanish when there is never even the slightest consideration of race as we move throughout each day.

    The arrest of Dr. Gates and CNN's "Black in America" presentation stirs the pot for us to have another intelligent conversation about race. I, too, asked the same question about whether two people could be neighbors and mistake the other for a robber. I don't know each of my neighbors personally but I am familiar with most faces. Whereas I can see how Dr. Gates' neighbor might not have seen his face clearly, I cannot help but think that she was increasingly inclined to call the police because he was a black man.

    Racism is not an issue that merely exists for one type of Black person (upper, middle, lower class) but for any type of Black person at any given notice. We are also racist against ourselves at times. When I'm riding down the street minding my business and get pulled over for no apparent reason by a Black officer working on an all white force because he has a quota to meet, that's when I'm most hurt. His concern is not protecting me but protecting himself and his position in what he accepts as a white world.

    Taqwaa F. Saleem

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Rubin. My brother and I were just having a conversation like this. It's so refreshing to hear someone else express the same points so eliquently. Kudos to you!

    Elise A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking time away from your busy schedules to read this post. Forgive me for taking so long to address each of your wonderful comments.

    Elise: Thank you very much for complimenting my writing. This post spawned from a conversation with several of my classmates and their concerns about Dr. Gates being arrested in his own home. Now that I think about it the frustration with the idea that racism will just disappear with the election of Obama started back in November. People really believe that America has forgotten its ugly past and historically horrific treatment of people indigenous and foreign to America. I am not at all suggesting that White people are all inherently evil and desire to make the lives of Black people as difficult as humanly possible. I instead suggest that a people practicing a high level of socially immoral behavior (hatred, institution of slavery, and discrimination) for hundreds of years are a bit hard pressed to undergo an evolution encompassing a significant amount of its race.

    At any rate I really appreciate your comments and hope that you encourage others to check out the blog and add to this dialogue. Who knows what will come of it.

    Eric: It has definitely been a very long time since we have seen or spoken to each other. How is your family? How are things with you? Thank you for the congrats.

    I agree with you in terms of racism, classism, colorism, and a myriad of other "ism's" are plaguing other countries as well. Its unfortunate that we as a country are always so quick to chastise the behavior of friends and enemies in other countries while we have our own mess to clean up. That is another blog entry all together.

    I just think its dangerous for us to promote that things are all better and there are no more hindrances because of one mans rise to the presidency. This has negative implication on either side of the color line.

    I subscribed to your blog so look out for my comments.

    Taqwaa: You know I was talking to someone a few days ago about the very same issue you raised. I think about myself or the hundreds of African American men who have achieved far greater things and the message this sends to them. I myself begin to think that no matter how opportunities to become a person engulfed in a wayward criminal lifestyle or no matter how many hours I spend engaged in the furtherance of my own education so that I might better contribute to the Black community and American that it may not matter much at all. Sorry if that was a run-on sentence. If the worth of all my hard work is determined by an angry police office, who has the power to revoke my right to freedom and tarnish my reputation, then why even bother. I understand there is a reason to bother but what about those who lack the mental toughness to survive the several demeaning ordeals that both Black men and women are subject to by white police officers? What about the young people discouraged by this? Where is the accountability for the harm caused by these decisions of instict?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nataussia RobinsonJuly 31, 2009 at 11:28 AM

    This blog needs to be published on a higher level!!! So often this discussion comes up betweeen myself and other social counterparts. And sadly Rubin, I totally agree!! Yes, as a nation we have come far, but we have so much further to go. I have come to the point where I no longer try to change the minds of those that have come before me, but I have redirected my energy and attention on those of my generation and younger. I truly believe that WE have to stand up and take ownership for our future. The time is now...if for noone else we have to do it for future generations. I think we often get complacent in our ideals and sit back and just let things happen. This should not be the case. Yes, we have an african american as president, but that doesn't change racial issues recurring on a daily basis. The recent election should inspire us as a people to stand up for what is right and hold eachother accountable. We cannot wait until a issue reaches the news to address. It starts in your community. It starts with us being leaders and taking control on the issues in our onw backyards. Only then will we begin to see a change.

    ReplyDelete